webOShelp.net

Get the latest on:webOS Developers' RSS FeedwebOS Facebook page webOS Twitter Feed

Home Forums
The webOShelp.net WebOS / Mojo Developers' Forum
October 31, 2014, 04:00:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login (using the form in the left column) or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone 3.0?  (Read 4838 times)
Ken Young
Administrator
webOS Rookie

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2009, 10:28:17 PM »

I was pretty underwhelmed.  It's amazing how Apple can make copy and paste, MMS and a few new APIs seem like such a revolution. Smiley
davidm
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 06:18:51 AM »

I found an article that says it has "100 new features" http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/17/iphone_3_0_100_new_features_for_users_1000_new_apis_for_devs.html but that's probably all marketing buzz, because the main one they're pushing is cut and paste (WinMo has been doing that for years anyway). And a landscape mode for notes.

Big deal, where's the multitasking? To be fair, they're also getting stereo bluetooth, but most mid-high end phones have that already. If they release new, better hardware then that could make a difference though.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 06:20:33 AM by davidm » Logged
Andrew
Administrator
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:35:11 AM »

The main points of iPhone 3.0 I've taken away from the headlines are:

-cut/copy/paste
-MMS
-spotlight (universal search)
-ad hoc peer-to-peer network
-bluetooth A2DP
-synchronization support for CalDAV and .ics
-new APIs: push notification, in-app e-mail, proximity sensor, shake detectors, etc.
-free upgrade for iPhone, $10 iPod touch upgrade

We first reported on it in the weekend news, in which there was thunderous applause for copy and paste in the video clip from Diggnation.
http://www.weboshelp.net/all-palm-articles/210-weekend-palm-pre-webos-update

I really don't see where the 100 new features are (not including APIs), they must be pretty inconsequential. If they consider the $10 cost for iTouch owners a feature, I'm not impressed  Cheesy Video recording and multitasking are two obvious omissions. I've updated the "iPhone vs. Pre" compilation with a couple new articles.
http://www.weboshelp.net/all-palm-articles/172-iphone-vs-pre-the-latest-info
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:39:44 PM by Andrew » Logged
james
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 07:50:11 PM »

I'd think now we'll see some significant more news come out on the Pre, hopefully even a release date. Sometime in the next week would be a great time for palm to release some new info and snatch media attention right back to the Pre.

Gotta strike while the iron is hot Palm.
thermodynamic
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 11:28:21 PM »

I agree with James.  Perhaps Apple's conference and marketing of its "Pre-like features" (not their wording, but it's been dubbed as much), will push Palm to try to regain their spotlight by releasing some juicy bits of info as well.  Nothing is juicier than a release date, but perhaps some unannounced features, or killer specs would be nice.

Although not ground breaking, I think the iPhone OS 3 has pretty some substantial updates that addresses many of their critics' concerns.  It is probably enough to keep many from switching over.  What Palm needs to do is to try and grab as many tech heads and people who never had a smartphone before.
Andrew
Administrator
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:45:50 AM »

That's true, some are saying Apple did this on purpose to steal the Pre's thunder. After all, the 3.0 update is coming in Q3, maybe as late as the end of September. Palm needs to get back in the headlines, maybe more details on the CPU or web browsing that will trump the iPhone. Support for tethering and video recording would also be nice.

As for release date, I guess they don't want to put all their cards on the table; or maybe they want to wait for final testing and firming up the manufacturing details, who knows. Dan Hesse already stated he wanted to make sure supply would meet demand when it's released. I'm not sure the iPhone buzz will last unless they actually release some new hardware.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:13:49 AM by Andrew » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: