webOShelp.net

Get the latest on:webOS Developers' RSS FeedwebOS Facebook page webOS Twitter Feed

Home Forums
The webOShelp.net WebOS / Mojo Developers' Forum
April 24, 2014, 10:47:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login (using the form in the left column) or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Got the SDK?  (Read 15496 times)
Scott Hutton
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 10:04:40 PM »

Indeed.  Sadly, I'm very much a server guy (Unix/Linux).  So, I'm looking forward to having a lot of the UI eye-candy done for me.  I get this for free on the Apple platforms (buttons, text boxes, and a wonderful code integration system in Interface Builder).  Rolling your own decent-looking CSS, even with the advent of JQuery and its themes, is still mighty painful.  I really want to focus on the data ("he said like Martha Stewart, who just wanted to focus on her salad" Tongue )

-Scott
BrettQ
webOS Newb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 10:12:22 PM »

Well I think once the SDK is out, it will be the second best platform to develop on behind the iPhone.  The only reason the iPhone has the lead is because it has over a year to beef up it's SDK and has the market share.  I am looking forward to programming on a new platform and not just following the iFart crowd.

That being said...I am also taking notes when I see something in one of my app ideas that could be ported to the iPhone.  A developer's gotta eat, right?
Scott Hutton
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 10:18:14 PM »

That being said...I am also taking notes when I see something in one of my app ideas that could be ported to the iPhone.  A developer's gotta eat, right?

Indeed!  But I'm inclined to do my part to level the playing field out there, and give the Pre dibs on new apps.  The iPhone has been lacking decent competition for a while, and I applaud the platform-agnostic approach of the Pre (even though I use a Mac as my primary platform).

-Scott
BrettQ
webOS Newb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »

Any apps I do will go to webOS first.  I want that platform to grow and am excited to be a part of it. 

I do all of my development on my unibody Macbook and hate it when I have to go to work and use some 3-year old Dells.
chuq
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 07:33:25 AM »

If Chuq wants to clear up how much we can say about the app process (what type of app we used on our application, how did Palm contact us, etc.), I will share more, but not without Palm's blessing.  I know talking about the SDK is a no, no.

Right now, the basica answer is "nothing". It's best to look at this as being a startup in stealth mode, because that's pretty much what it is. I'm working on what we need to have ready when that changes, and trust me, we all want to get to that point. The quiet isn't because we don't want people to have this stuff, it's that we feel it has to be at a certain level of quality so that developers have a chance of succeeding with it, not just using it.

chuq
BrettQ
webOS Newb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 09:44:22 AM »

Thanks Chuq!  It really goes a long way that you are monitoring the development sites and the community like you are.  I know that it makes me feel secure that I am choosing to spend my development time on webOS instead of the iPhone OS or another mobile platform.

It is better to get everything done right at the start so that you are not changing things that may also change our code behavior.  I have faith that you and your team will do a great job with the initial release and taking feedback once the SDK is public and updating it as we all learn together.  Keep up the great work.  I can't wait to get my hands on the Pre.
Scott Hutton
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 07:35:12 AM »

This seems relevant to this thread:

Success Of the Palm Pre May Depend On Developers:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/blogs/bizfeed/165229/success_of_the_palm_pre_may_depend_on_developers.html

Any news on expanded access to the SDK, Chuq (especially now that the device release date has been announced)?  I know my app submission wasn't the most glamourous, but I know how to beat the crap out of a third-party SDK Smiley

-Scott
capz
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 10:53:06 AM »

Why should we even wait for the SDK? To you guys that have the SDK, congrats, your
ideas were better received than mine and were accepted. I hope you do well.

I was pretty excited about developing for the Pre after seeing it in January. But
Palm has done their best to damper most of my enthusiasm. The thing that may have
done me in as a Pre developer is learning today that some developers have had the
SDK since December.

Palm... why should I continue to wait for the SDK that some people have had for over
five months now and are going to have a huge head start in any apps that I might want
to develop. It makes NO sense for me to invest any time in developing any app where
the playing field is so un-fair. When the SDK is released I could spent 3 months on
an app and release it only to be undercut the next day by a developer who has spent 9 months
with the SDK and added 6 more months of features. It makes NO sense for me to
invest any time. You guys have really screwed this up for developers. The only
smart move is to release the SDK NOW and salvage what you can. If the SDK is held
up more than a week or two more I'm done with Palm.

Clearly Palm you just don't get it and I might add... your track record is not great the
last few years, you need to be doing things better.

Scott Hutton
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 12:50:14 PM »

Why should we even wait for the SDK? To you guys that have the SDK, congrats, your
ideas were better received than mine and were accepted. I hope you do well.

I was pretty excited about developing for the Pre after seeing it in January. But
Palm has done their best to damper most of my enthusiasm. The thing that may have
done me in as a Pre developer is learning today that some developers have had the
SDK since December.

Palm... why should I continue to wait for the SDK that some people have had for over
five months now and are going to have a huge head start in any apps that I might want
to develop. It makes NO sense for me to invest any time in developing any app where
the playing field is so un-fair. When the SDK is released I could spent 3 months on
an app and release it only to be undercut the next day by a developer who has spent 9 months
with the SDK and added 6 more months of features. It makes NO sense for me to
invest any time. You guys have really screwed this up for developers.

<<snip>>

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment.  Some thoughts to consider:

• It's not a democracy.  You might feel some entitlement because open-source technologies are being used, because the PalmOS and iPhone SDKs are already available, and because other developers have had access for a while; none of these are really relevant.  The fact remains that Palm is a for-profit corporation whose loyalties are to the shareholder and its employees (in that order).  If they feel like giving the SDK to their partners or developers with demonstrated performance before they offer it to the unwashed masses, that's ther perogative.  I'll be the first to admit that this doesn't make me very happy, but I also realize, "it's not about me."  Developers are still a tiny minority of the prospective customer base.  Remember that they're hoping to sell millions of these devices and support those millions with a staff of a few thousand (if that).  Even if there were one developer for each and every one of the iPhone's applications (about 40,000 at last count), that would still be a miniscule percentage of the customer base.  Developers may help make the product a success, but they're obviously hoping to have some very key applications in the pipeline to drive early sales before the flood gates for applications like "baby shaker" open.
  • In that vein, developers are difficult to support.  We consume a lot of resources, and the small-time ones really don't do much to drive device demand.  I had an idea for an application that I thought would be fun to develop and maintain, but I really don't see anyone buying a PrÄ“ just for my little app.  If anything, I'd simply hoped to get in early because I love doing development.
  • I still strongly suspect there's something we all don't know yet.  There could be an embarrassing flaw in the platform (e.g., something that causes a crash or a security hole), and the SDK may make that apparent.  That'd be a pretty good reason for secrecy when you know your future is dependent on the success of this single product.
  • A brighter possibility might be a surprise that Palm is hoping to keep under wraps until launch day (e.g., something a simple as "8GB?  Try 32GB!").  I've often wondered if that's why it's been impossible for reviewers to get a device, and why Palm staff won't keep their hands away from the device during demos.  Frankly, if I had one and I saw that, I'd probably keep my mouth shut, too -- it's coming out way too late for Apple to do anything about it.  I'm sure smarter people than me have already considered this.

Whether you like it or not, no one has the full picture but Palm.  I think they know what's riding on this, and I really don't think they're stupid (quite the contrary).  I think they may not have the secrecy game mastered, though.  I can only hope that all will be revealed in a couple of weeks, and that I might be lucky enough to get my grubbies on the SDK a little sooner than that!

-Scott
moses5407
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 09:49:17 PM »

All comments read and appreciated .. but I think the developer dissatisfaction would have been COMPLETELY avoided by providing a believable but tentative SDK general release date. ANYTHING but the massive silence which has followed the "early limited release" fanfare.

There have been small and indefinite comments here and there but nothing substantive. Major "developus interruptus" and a horrible idea when you want to claim "valuing developers". The information vacuum makes getting the Pre a complete gamble for anyone with development interest and not in the Blessed Few to be accepted.

I guess there's Them ... the valued few .. and the rest of us. Will this two-tier approach continue with only private releases of SDK updates, etc.?

Will I be buying a Pre? Yes .. I have to make this gamble to test a phone I hope will have a viable SDK as a platform for my own business development. Do I feel "vauled"?? Hell no....

Wouldn't it be a shame if all the buyers and developers took Palm's approach and remained in "stealth mode" during the rollout .. never showing up with substance,i.e., cash .. but CLAIMING enthusiasm for Palm and the Pre?

danuff
webOS Newb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 08:50:30 AM »

Ken:
Like some of the other people in this forum, I too applied on day #1, and then even REAPPLIED a few days ago with a different idea for an application, and I am still waiting to be accepted (or denied).

Why DID I apply?  As a frustrated iPhone developer, I was hoping that this platform would be easier to deal with, since I am a full time webmaster and was excited to find that I could get away from the "pain in the butt" Objective-C language that one has to master even before someone can even show "Hello World" on the screen.

I am hoping that once the device is released, that Palm will open the SDK to all.

Dan Uff
faraujo
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 12:01:08 PM »

I applied through my company, which is the largest magazine publication company in the U.S . What surprises us mostly is the lack of applications at release, we would of expected a little more push for app development pre-release.  However, until the official release of the SDK we will be eagerly keep our eyes on what comes out.
612WharfAvenue
webOS Newb

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 11:17:47 AM »

I'm just here to add to the litany of people who applied within 24hr of the announcement, and are sorely disappointed at the lack of response here after release of the hardware.      I recognize they're a business etc etc, but acting as if independent developers don't matter is a huge 180 from the PalmOS days, and quite a disappointment.   

I can honestly say if the SDK was out, or at least announced with a solid release date, I would have been in the stores this past weekend trying to get my hands on a Pre, and immediately home trying to get code running on it.     As is, my enthusiasm for the device is rapidly waning.  My treo is still running fine.  I'm not going to go out and drop $300 on a device I can't code for.
SeanBlader
webOS Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 02:41:41 PM »

Hey everyone. I got the lucky opportunity to talk to Pam who's the Developer Marketing Manager at Palm during their reception at the WWDC in San Francisco, and her whole job is to see us succeeding. She specifically said she won't be happy with where the SDK and application approval processes are until there are independent "developers who can make a living writing apps for the Pre." She also mentioned that they still need a lot of work on the approval process for getting apps into the catalog. Wish I could tell you when the SDK would be ready, but no one was willing to say. At the same time it was nice to talk to people there who were dedicated to making sure that we succeed.

I think we're probably looking at a few months from getting a full SDK available. Personally I think it was premature of the predevcamp folks to announce a specific date for the event, and while I can sympathize with their enthusiasm, you didn't see them setting up the iphonedevcamp before the iphone SDK was in wide release. I'd rather see the SDK out for a few weeks or at least have Mitch's book out and the SDK in wide release for a week. Setting it to happen without the SDK is just asking for a poorly executed event, and doesn't make for happy developers.
danuff
webOS Newb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 03:53:34 PM »

Thanks for your comments.

Even though the rep you talked with sounded like she was willing to help, I do not think that Palm (or Sprint) want the WebOS to "take off" like they were saying back in January.

As a registered iPhone developer since day #1, I feel that the reason the iPhone took off like it did was because Apple did the right thing, got the SDK in developer's hands upon announcing the availability of the device.  Plus, when the iPhone app store went online, there were more than 15,000 apps available for download.

If Palm wants the Pre to "save the company" sort to speak, then they better move their butts and get the SDK in our hands before the momentum for the device slows (or even stops).  If they have the mind-set to release a public SDK in "a few months" instead of "a few days or weeks" then Palm may NOT even be around that long.

What makes the device is great software - that's what's driving the iPhone now.

-Dan
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: